Sonntag, 18. März 2018

Long Runs

The right pace for marathon is an interesting question. Normally I would say 1 minute above 10 km time. So if you run the 10 in 4 min/km than 5min/km would be good for a marathon. A marathon is not just four times longer than a normal run. It has some special challenges to be mastered. Therefore you should train long runs to discover and move your range limit.

How many long runs should be completed before the marathon race day? 35 Kilometers are good base. I have tried one with 37 km and several 21-31 km runs during my Berlin Marathon preparation. The interesting part for me was that all the runs were different from pace perspective. One big influence factor is temperature and the amount of drinks.

Every week I planned one long run to test equipment, shoes, socks, nutrition, cloths. That is of course a risk and increases the probability of receiving an injury. If you have more time than me for preparing a marathon you should plan long runs every two weeks to be save to be able to recover.

See also:
Long Distance Running - The Long Run Guide for Marathoners & Half Marathoners
3 Tips to Get More Out of Your Long Run

Keine Kommentare: